Olveston Historic Home
Olveston was built for Dunedin businessman, collector and philanthropist David Theomin, his wife Marie and their two children Edward and Dorothy.
Designed by acclaimed English architect Sir Ernest George, Olveston was built as a family home furnished with fine art, furniture and artifacts purchased from all around the world.
Intended for future generations of Theomin’s to enjoy, this was not to be the case as both the Theomin children died without heirs. Surviving the death of her father, mother and elder brother, Miss Dorothy Theomin lived at Olveston until her death in 1966, when it was discovered the house and the original contents were gifted to the City of Dunedin.
Opened as a historic house museum in 1967, Olveston is a time capsule as little has changed inside the house since it was occupied as a family home between 1906 to 1966.
Olveston is an authentic and original historic home depicting the life of a wealthy merchant family in the early part of the twentieth century.
Visit the website - http://www.olveston.co.nz
Phone - 03 477 3320
or email - email@example.com
Post submitted by Jeremy Smith